Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Stairs and Hallway Progress

I've been waiting to post photos of the final stair case and hallway for a long time.  It really never feels like it's going to end.  Today I finally finished painting the stairs after almost a week and a half of naps.  2 hours seems like a long time when you want to take a nap, but not so long when you want to paint your stairs!  So, I just decided that I'd post progress instead of waiting for the final product.

You may remember from earlier posts or Facebook that my stairs originally looked like this:

I suppose they could have removed the railing!


started taking the carpet off before photos




















Then, my mom and I tore the carpet off and I paid someone to come in and make the banister look like this:

Thanks Terry



















In the mean time I had the bright yellow walls painted Navajo White (although it still looks yellow). Can you tell?

After much thought and a side project painting the living and dining rooms, I decided to prime and fill the staple holes.  Then it looked like this:


Then today I put the last coat on the last step of my aqua ombre project.  It's subtle and even more subtle in photos than in person but I LOVE it!  I rant into a little issue today when going back with the wall color to touch up.  Turns out the wall color that I have in the can doesn't match what's on the wall.  Sometimes from gallon to gallon the colors can vary a little.  This one varies quite a bit, but I'll fix the problem.  So, it's not done, but it looks pretty done for now.


















The banister still needs a final coat of white, the steps need to be varnished to protect them, and I may paint the railing and end post a charcoal gray.  Haven't decided yet!

The upstairs hallway has been a mess since we got carpet in January.  The installers removed the hall carpet and hauled it away, but I didn't have them lay anything down in it's place.  There were a lot of staples left over that I had to remove and some carpet tacks as well.  Since then it's been a patchwork of rugs protecting our feeties from splinters.  I hoped so much, considering the house was built in the '30s, that there would be something other than plywood under the carpet, but no such luck.  Plywood it is!  Here's what it looks like now (new railing upstairs too!):


The plan is to paint the floor with this stencil in a combination of charcoal, aqua, and white:

No comments:

Post a Comment